Skip to main content

How I Saved $67 a Month: The Free Apps That Replaced My Paid Subscriptions

5 Free Apps That Helped Me Ditch Paid Subscriptions (and Put $67 Back in My Pocket) (Heads up: Some links here are affiliate links. If you click and buy, it helps support my coffee habit. Thanks!) The Morning I Got a Reality Check Not long ago, I was sipping coffee and scrolling through my bank app (dangerous combo, I know). I never realized how much those “small” subscription fees added up until I saw the grand total—over $200 a month! Honestly, I almost spit coffee everywhere. I had to ask: Why was I paying for apps I barely used? Was I really getting my money’s worth from premium features, or just being lazy about switching to free versions? Time for a change.
My Free App Makeover: Here’s What Actually Worked 1. Canva (Free Plan) — So Long, Adobe Creative Cloud Let’s be real: I am not a professional graphic designer. I used to pay for the full Adobe Creative Cloud suite (over $20/month!) just so I could whip up the occasional Instagram post or party invite. But—and here’s the embarrassing part—I probably used about 5% of what Adobe offered. Enter Canva: Free, easy, and honestly, way more fun. Tons of cool templates. Drag-and-drop design (I can make stuff in five minutes flat!). Built-in photos, icons... even fonts I actually like. Yes, the free plan skips a few bells and whistles. But for 99% of people? You’ll never notice. What did I miss? Not much, unless you run a branding agency from your kitchen table. Verdict: Haven’t looked back since. Monthly Savings: $20.99
2. Google Docs/Sheets/Slides — Bye, Microsoft 365 I used to think I needed Microsoft 365 for writing, budgeting, and putting together the occasional presentation. But when my “free trial” ended and the monthly bill started coming in, I realized… wait, doesn’t Google offer all this for free? Google’s suite to the rescue: Docs, Sheets, and Slides work on any device. Auto-save and collaboration? Life-changing. 15GB free storage (that’s a lot of grocery lists). Anything missing? Super-advanced Excel tricks, maybe. But I can live without those. Monthly Savings: $6.99
3. Notion (Free Plan) — Goodbye, Evernote Premium I tried to be the person who organized their whole life in Evernote. But after months of paying, I realized I could barely find my notes, let alone use the “premium” features I was paying for. Notion’s free plan had everything I needed: Infinite notes, tables, lists, and boards Easy web clipper (I use it for recipes and random ideas) Syncs across my phone and laptop File size limits? Sure, but I rarely need to upload huge files anyway. If you want to organize EVERYTHING and pay $0, Notion is where it’s at. Monthly Savings: $7.99
4. Spotify Free (with a Side of YouTube Music) — So-Long, Premium I love music. But $10.99 a month just to skip ads? When I actually tallied up my listening, I realized it wasn’t worth it for me. Now, I listen to playlists on Spotify Free (yeah, there are ads, but I just hum through them or grab a snack), and if I want a specific song, I punch it into YouTube Music. Missed anything? Offline listening and unlimited skips, I guess. But honestly, it’s a small price for saving money. Monthly Savings: $10.99
5. DaVinci Resolve (Free) — Replacing Adobe Premiere Pro I’m not making Hollywood movies, just editing family clips and the odd YouTube video. Why was I paying $21 a month for Premiere Pro? (Honestly, I don’t know.) DaVinci Resolve’s free version: More than enough for basic to moderate video editing No watermarks, no time limits Professional tools if I ever want to level up Missing the pro-level extras? Not really—especially if you’re just doing casual editing. Monthly Savings: $20.99
Bonus Swaps That Added Up Password Manager: Switched from LastPass Premium to Bitwarden Free—works across my phone and laptop, no problem. Cloud Storage: Google Drive’s free 15GB covers almost everything. Worst case, I back up photos to iCloud (also free). Photo Editing: Snapseed on my phone and free Canva for the rest. VPN: ProtonVPN’s free plan for basic privacy—good enough for everyday stuff.
My Monthly Savings Chart Subscription Dropped Free Alternative Money Saved Adobe Creative Cloud Canva Free $20.99 Microsoft 365 Google Docs/Sheets/Slides $6.99 Evernote Premium Notion Free $7.99 Spotify Premium Spotify Free/YouTube Music $10.99 Adobe Premiere Pro DaVinci Resolve Free $20.99 TOTAL SAVED EACH MONTH: $67.95 Over $800 per year, just for ditching subscriptions I honestly never missed.
When Paid is Still Worth It Let’s be honest: Sometimes, paying for a subscription actually does make life easier or better. I keep Amazon Prime because I order everything from socks to snacks online. And yes, I paid for YouTube Premium for a while—ad-free was nice, but I eventually went back to free. If you use every feature, or it saves you real time or hassle, keep it. But if you’re just paying because you forgot to cancel? Time to let it go.
How You Can Audit Your Own Subscriptions Want to save a chunk of cash? Start here: Write down everything you’re subscribed to. (Bank statements, app store, old emails—hunt them all down.) Ask yourself: Am I using this? Is the paid version really better for me? Test the free versions. Try them for a week or two—see if anything’s actually missing. Cancel or downgrade. Set a calendar reminder in three months to check again. Pro tip: If you use your own anecdotes or adjust details based on your own experience, your subscription audit will be even more unique. That way, your approach works for you—not just for someone else!
Final Thoughts Swapping out paid subscriptions for free apps seemed like it might be a hassle, but now I wish I’d done it sooner. My wallet’s heavier, my digital life is lighter, and I haven’t missed a single “premium” perk I was really paying for. So—are you paying for apps you barely use? Take a weekend, explore some free alternatives, and see how much you can save. Maybe you’ll put that extra cash towards something you’ll actually remember (like a dinner with friends or a weekend getaway). What free apps are you loving right now? Swapped out anything that surprised you? Drop your faves in the comments—I’m always looking to upgrade my toolkit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Free App Stack That Replaced My $247/Month Software Subscriptions (And Made Me More Productive)

# The Free App Stack That Replaced My $247/Month Software Subscriptions (And Made Me More Productive) *How I canceled 11 paid subscriptions and built a better workflow with completely free alternatives* (Heads up: This post contains affiliate links. If you click and buy something, I might earn a small commission—thank you!) ## The $2,964 Annual Reality Check March 15th. Tax season. I'm organizing my business expenses when I see it: **$2,964 spent on software subscriptions last year.** For a moment, I convince myself it's justified. "I'm running a business. These are tools. Investments." Then I hover over my credit card statement and see the truth: - **Adobe Creative Cloud:** $54.99/month (barely used) - **Notion Pro:** $10/month (95% of features unused) - **Grammarly Premium:** $12/month (catching typos I could catch myself) - **Calendly:** $12/month (for... scheduling? Really?) - **Evernote Premium:** $10.83/month (haven't opened it in 2 months) - **C...

Microsoft Copilot vs GitHub Copilot: 500 Hours, 50 Projects, and a Surprising Winner

  The Showdown No One Told You About Let’s be honest: I’m obsessed with working smarter, not harder. So when both Microsoft Copilot and GitHub Copilot promised to revolutionize my workflow, I didn’t just trust the hype—I put them to the ultimate test. Over 500 hours and 50 real projects, I tracked every minute, every bug, every dollar earned, and every task automated. The results? Let’s just say, the “best Copilot” isn’t as clear-cut as you might think—and if you want to save massive time or make more money, you need to know what I discovered. Why I Did This Experiment I wear two hats: developer and business owner. My days bounce between coding, project management, writing proposals, analyzing data, and (let’s be real) answering way too many emails. I needed to know: Which Copilot actually gives you your life back? Which one makes you look like a genius at work, or helps you grow your side hustle into a real business? So I got methodical. I spent 250 hours with each tool, on real c...

How to Speed Up Your Slow Computer in 2025: Step-by-Step Guide for Windows, Mac, and Linux

How to Speed Up Your Slow Computer: The Complete 2025 Guide Introduction: The Agony of a Lagging Computer Remember the last time your computer seemed to have a mind of its own, refusing to open a file or load a website just when you needed it most? We’ve all felt that panic—especially when the clock is ticking on a school assignment, a work deadline, or even just a Zoom call with friends. I can recall a moment last winter, coffee in hand, when my own laptop decided to stage a protest. The spinning wheel taunted me for what felt like hours. The frustration is real. But here’s the thing: you don’t need to rush out and buy a brand-new device. Most of the time, a slow computer just needs a little TLC. In this guide, I’ll walk you through everything I’ve learned about making computers fly again—no matter your experience level, no matter if you use Windows, Mac, or even Linux. By the end, you’ll have a toolkit of practical solutions for reclaiming your computer’s speed. So take a deep brea...